A beautiful space sim came across my desk this past week, Starpoint Gemini 2, and it appears to be love at first sight for me. I thoroughly enjoy space sims and as I read more information about it I just knew I had to play it (and I’ll of course review it when I’m done). After space sim, it had me at two words: RPG depth (I’m making it two words). Take a moment to read the official description and then enjoy a few gratuitous screenshots from the game to see how gorgeous it is:
Captain your own space ship and roam the galaxy in 3D in this tactical space simulator with tons of RPG depth ! Space has never looked so inviting – but images can betray…
It has been two years since the end of the second Gemini war, and the situation in the war-torn system is further from resolution than ever before. The collection of freedom fighters named Gemini League is now reduced to a small group, with no power or influence, after losing their leaders. The Empire meanwhile, has used the re-opened Starpoint to occupy the once renegade Gemini sector – and beyond.
A multitude of Imperial warship fleets and mammoth motherships have crushed every trace of opposition. The situation was looking bleak, when they suddenly halted their armada and re-shifted their focus on fortifying Starpoint with staggering numbers. Rumors soon spread that they were afraid of something coming after them through the T-gate, from what was supposed to be the core of the Empire. What are they running from that makes even the mighty Empire tremble?
Starpoint Gemini 2 will take players on a breath-taking journey, with dark secrets and unimaginable twists that will finally unveil the incredible truth…
- Complex, but easy-to-use RPG system, now coupled with dynamic real-time 3D combat
- Explore the dynamic game world as a whole, rather than through individual maps
- Use T-Gates, wormholes and riftways to travel faster around the Gemini system
- Fifty diverse factions ranging from states and companies to outlaws, locked in a power struggle, with over 100 commodities to trade or plunder
- Special revocable licenses acquired from factions offer various bonuses and unlock new options
- Hire mercenary captains to follow you on your travels and share your fate, and employ officers to fill key positions on your ship (engineering, navigation, tactical)
- Random missions get generated depending on the player’s actions and allegiances
- Over 70 unique ships, fully upgradeable with various ship systems, with a.o. visible turrets, and a large arsenal of destructive weapons to blast enemies to pieces
- Direct ship controls create complete immersion
- Advanced physics provided by NVIDIA PhysX technology